Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Vancouver 2010



Seems like it's been a long time since i've written anything, well i guess it has. hope i didn't lose any of you. i know poetry's not exactly for everyone especially my grandpa with his old school english and deep, lengthy poems. so i'm back, let's move on.

THE OLYMPICS! how much fun was that? i had a blast! for the past few days i've been reminiscing in order to have something to write about on here. it's what i usually do, let an idea marinate in my head, take mental notes and after a couple of sleeps, start typing. in this case, however, i didn't come up with much. which is unusual, especially for such a greatly entertaining couple of weeks.

i'll start with all the love and pride i noticed in everyone. i've never seen so many smiles in my life. the vancouver and canadian pride was at an all time high. i've always defended vancouver when people slam it for being lame or whatever and it felt good to have my defence not lost in vain. seemed like the whole world was here partying and enjoying. it seemed to have opened our eyes to all that we have here and which we take for granted.

not being completely loaded (with money), i didn't get to do everything i had hoped for but the beauty of that was all the free events and attractions. the downside of that was the freakin line-ups! tell you the truth they didn't bother me all that much, being drunk helped. but it also created time to socialize with strangers in anticipation for a shared experience. i saw one of my favourite rappers, buck 65. the opening acts were almost horrible and not really my cup of tea or that of my friends and a lot of the crowd started to fizzle. those not familiar with buck were itching to leave. i told my friends to go ahead. not the first time i've been to a concert alone. i ended up sitting with a group of strangers who really liked him as well. buck was nothing short of spectacular. i also got to see another favourite, damien marley. good show but very crowded and had to watch the whole thing on the big screen. i missed out on shows i wanted to see as well but you can't do everything, can you?

the gold medal hockey game was icing on the cake. things could not have gone better. the suspense after the tie-ing goal was silencing and the win in over time almost blew my ears off. pandemonium!

also, i met a photographer during the night we lost to the u.s. he took a pic of me behaving mischieviously and put it on his site. so if you want to check out some great photography, his web site is 1putts.smugmug.com and he also agreed to let me use his photography. so both pics posted here are his but i'm not in either. high-five to wu lee.

not much more i can say about it other than it was most definitely one of the funnest times in my life so far. i guess you just had to be there.

2 comments:

  1. Okay I know you are not some blond chick with questionable dance skills? I wanted to see the photo of you.
    There sure was a lot of great free entertainment for those patient enough to wait it out and brave the crowds. You know Leah went to Cadence Weapon with one of my sons. They had so much fun and partied until the early morning. The Alberta House didn't know what they had.
    I felt the pride for sure. I liken it to the Canuck Fever that grows every time they get close to the playoffs. I really hope it sticks this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lori, the pic was my last profile pic, the one with the lighter, it's just my hand lol. and ya it did have that kinda play off fever but on a larger scale. reminded me of expo 86, eventhough i was very little, i kinda remember the crowds and some attractions

    ReplyDelete